Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wenger hoping to improve on third place as Cesc Fabregas finally speaks

Having returned from Austria after enjoying easy wins in their first three pre-season friendlies, Arsenal will be now looking forward to the Emirates Cup and the English Premiership.

Speaking to the club’s official website, manager Arsene Wenger revealed he is confident the Gunners will do better this season as he hopes they will improve on third place. Wenger did add however that their task will not be an easy one as more and more clubs are spending big money to break into the so-called Top Four.

With the Gunners set to face AC Milan and Celtic this weekend, it will be a very important tournament for the manager who will be given important signals on who is fit and in-form to start against Liverpool.

He said:

I am very confident [we'll do better than last season]. We know in England that the Premier League is the biggest league in the world and everybody invests a lot of money.

We invest in our work, in our beliefs, in the quality of our behaviour and I am confident that will pay off.

We finished third last year and we hope we can improve on that. But the race will be tough.

Meanwhile, in an interview published on DIR Emotions, captain Cesc Fabregas has finally broke the silence on his future. The 23-year old midfielder explained how just like his family members he is a fan of Barcelona, saying how he felt the colours of the Catalan club from a young age.

But, the Spaniard also said how he is a Gunner and how Arsene Wenger is a second father to him explaining that they did speak about his future with Wenger asking him to stay in what the player described as a very emotional conversation.

On his future, Fabregas is quoted as saying:

I’m a Barca fan, I’m a socio, as is my grandfather, my uncle, my cousin. I have felt the colours from a young age, I’m Catalan. However, I’m the captain of Arsenal, I’m a ‘Gunner’, and I have become a player there and matured as a person.

[Wenger] is a second father for me, the most important person in my life after my father. He has behaved really well with me and taken me in like a son. I am part of his family.

He doesn’t want me to leave. And in my last conversation with him in London, it was one of the most difficult moments I have experienced. I ended up very upset.

I want to continue fighting for every title, especially the Champions League, because I am a winner.

From thegunninghawk.com

No comments: