Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fabregas: I am a 'Gunner'

Cesc Fabregas has moved to quash fears of him forcing a possible move to Spanish club Barcelona by issuing the strongest, yet diplomatic, statement yet.

The World Cup winner is the subject of transfer bid by the Catalan club, who have had a €30 million bid turned down by Arsenal.

Manager Arsène Wenger has also stated several times that the club were not interested in negotiating for Fabregas, saying that the midfielder is a part of the club's long-term success.

Fabregas himself has conceded that he is of course a Catalan born and bred, but he's proud of his role in Arsenal and takes his responsibilities very strongly.

Speaking to DIR Emotions magazine, the 23-year-old said: "I'm a Barca fan, I'm a socio, as is my grandfather, my uncle, my cousin... I have felt the colours from a young age, I'm Catalan.

"However, I'm the captain of Arsenal, I'm a 'Gunner', and I have become a player there and matured as a person."

Fabregas also paid tribute to Wenger, saying that the bond between the both of them was very close, and admitted that the two had a very emotional conversation when discussing his long-term future at the club.

He added: "Arsène is a second father for me, the most important person in my life after my father. He has behaved really well with me and taken me in like a son. I am part of his family.

"He doesn't want me to leave. And in my last conversation with him in London, it was one of the most difficult moments I have experienced. I ended up very upset."

From arsenal-mania.com

No comments: