Monday, July 26, 2010

Gibbs ready for first-team push



Arsenal youngster Kieran Gibbs is looking forward to competing for a place in the first-team this season.

The 20-year-old left-back missed most of last season with a foot injury, but is widely considered to be one of Arsenal's most impressive young players.

Gibbs insists he is over his injury problems now and ready to play regular football again this season.

He said: "My foot is all fine at the moment and I'm all ready for the new season.

"I feel good. My foot's not causing me any problems and there has not been a lot of reaction to the metalwork I had in there.

"I'm still at that stage when I'm just happy to be running and free to play football again."

While Arsenal are well-covered at left-back, the search still continues for extra centre-backs, and Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen has dropped a major hint that he would relish a move to the Gunners.

The defender is a former team-mate of Thomas Vermaelen, who moved from Ajax to Arsenal last summer, and Vertonghen has revealed he would love to play with the Arsenal man again.

He said: "I lost a friend when he went to Arsenal but for my career it was good. We get on really well. I speak to him sometimes a few times a week.

"He is one of my best friends and I'm very happy he has been such a success at Arsenal. He tells me really good things about Arsenal and living in London.

"I have always said to myself I want one more year at Ajax, hopefully become a champion and then move.

"I am ambitious. I want to play in the Premier League."


From arsenal-mania.com

No comments: