Monday, July 26, 2010

Arsenal rumours 26th July – Vertonghen, Stekelenburg, Lukaku, Wickham and Bakambu

There is an air of desperation in the media’s Arsenal transfer rumours today, especially when they make the main link Jan Vertonghen. The ex-team-mate of Thomas Vermaelen quite clearly said in his interview that he wouldn’t consider leaving Ajax for another year at least, but the papers have turned it into a come-and-get-me plea.

Okay, I agree that Wenger may well bring him in one day (Ajax are Arsenal’s feeder team after all!), but it certainly won’t be this summer. I will personally guarantee that okay?

While we are working through the Ajax team, we may as well start with their Number One Maarten Stekelenburg, who is the latest goalkeeper to be linked with a move to the Emirates. The 27 year-old Holland international is just one of about a trillion keepers that have been linked with the Gunners this summer, but hasn’t everyone got the hint yet? Wenger has got four keepers and doesn’t want any more thank you! I will only believe there is a possibility of a new arrival when I see Almunia on the plane to Spain with a contract in his pocket…….

The rest of the rumours are “one’s for the future”. The Ipswich youngster Connor Wickham was strongly linked with Arsenal a couple of months ago, and todays stories are saying that Liverpool are now favourites to beat Arsenal and Spurs to his signature. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought that the rumours stopped when Wickham signed a new contract with the Tractor Boys, and committed to stay for a few more years?

Here is the quote, I’ve just found it. BBC 4th June – Wickham said: “Ipswich is the only thing on my mind, I’ve got no intentions of moving elsewhere. I’ve got a good head on my shoulders so it’s not going to make me get big-time or anything like that.” It seems Liverpool have other ideas…..

“Arsenal are preparing a £12m bid for Romelu Lukaku” is another big story. The 17 year-old Anderlecht youngster has been wowing the crowds in Belgium, with 17 goals in his first full season, and has been called the ‘new Drogba’ on various occasions, but this is another non-story as far as I’m concerned. Wenger has stated he doesn’t want any more strikers, and with talent like that, Lukaku is not going to be sitting in the reserves or on the bench when he does move on. And I’m sure I’ve seen a picture of him in a Chelsea shirt recently……

Last, but not least, we have Cedric Bakambu, a young Frenchman who has been impressing scouts at the U19 Championships. Apparently Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd had people watching him when France drew 1-1 with England the other night. That may well be true, but I reckon every top club in Europe has got scouts in France at this Premier competition for the U19s in Europe. I am sure he is extremely good and Sochaux will be receiving many bids for him in the future, but being watched in this competition hardly constitutes a proper rumour……

Can you all tell I am getting a lttle cynical about all these links now? I know Wenger has said that he still intends to buy another defender, but I am even not that that is going to happen any more!

From justarsenal.com

No comments: