Sunday, August 1, 2010

Manchester United and Arsenal target Mesut Ozil vows to honour Werder Bremen contract



Mesut Ozil expects to see out the final year of his contract with Werder Bremen and not follow Germany team-mate Sami Khedira to Real Madrid this summer.
Staying put: Ozil has vowed to honour his contract

Staying put: Ozil has vowed to honour his contract

The 21-year-old has been linked with a move to the Spanish giants as well as after turning down a new contract with the Bundesliga club, which means he will be available on a free transfer next summer.

Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham are also reportedly interested but Ozil does not expect any offer to tempt him away from Germany a year before his contract expires, like Khedira who left Stuttgart last week.

'I am really, really happy for Sami and I am keeping my fingers crossed for him,' Ozil told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

'It is very good for German football that big clubs are interested in German players. 'In recent years, there has only really been Michael Ballack who represented German football at a top club.

'For now, my situation for the next 12 months is clear. Only the facts count and the fact is, I am under contract with Werder. 'I cannot know what comes after that.'

Ozil insists a move before the end of his contract will not happen unless Werder insist on selling him.

He added: 'I am a friend of honesty. Many people extend their contracts long-term for better conditions, but two weeks later, they want to leave.

'I have never done that but have rather always respected my contract and been happy to fulfil it. 'Why should now be any different?"


from dailymail.co.uk

No comments: