Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Koscielny - I'll gain muscle for new season

Laurent Koscielny intends to "gain a little muscle" as he braces himself for the physical challenge of the Premier League.

The French defender is in the frame to start Arsenal's first game of the season at Liverpool on August 15 and did his prospects no harm with a fine performance against Milan in the Emirates Cup when his anticipation and assurance caught the eye.

Koscielny knows he is on a steep learning curve after his summer transfer from Ligue 1 side Lorient but he is prepared for whatever English football can throw at him.

"I feel ready," said the 24-year-old.

"I like the physical challenge of the English league. I will gain a little muscle, but I am not afraid of anything; I just want to get stronger."

Koscielny and Thomas Vermaelen have linked up well in pre-season but the Frenchman knows that communication will be key to their on-field relationship. That's why he's brushing up on his language skills in time for the new season.

"Thomas and I help each other a lot on the pitch," he said.

"The job demands a lot of communication, being in defence. I am trying to make as much effort as possible to speak in English so that the communication is fluent on the pitch, and slowly it will come. It will get better and better."

From arsenal.com

No comments: