Thursday, September 9, 2010

Vermaelen honoured to play for Arsenal

After revealing that Cesc Fabregas wanted to leave the club in the summer, Thomas Vermaelen has now come out and said that Arsenal are a team that everyone wants to play for.

The Belgian joined the club from Ajax last summer, and feels honoured to be first choice at such a presitigious football club.

The centre-back has praised manager Arsène Wenger for the way he was brought into the team, and believes last season was a great experience for him, and one that many are envious of.

He said: "For me Arsenal is one of the best Clubs in the world.

"If you talk with other people they are so jealous because they want to play for Arsenal. They are happy [to talk about the Club] because for them it's such a nice Club who plays nice football. I know every player wants to play for this Club.

"Pressure was not that high [when I arrived] but the most important thing was that the boss gave me the confidence from the start. He let me play the first game, didn't put me on the bench, that was really important."

Vermaelen earned praise for his performances last season, which included eight goals, but insists he is still looking to improve this year.

He said: "I've learned a lot from last season, training with good players, with the boss, who gives me advice. I hope to do better this year."

From arsenal-mania.com

No comments: