Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fabregas: I am an Arsenal player


Captain Cesc Fabregas has moved to reassure Arsenal fans after his World Cup triumph with Spain by saying that he was proud to be at the club, and dedicated his win to Gooners worldwide.

The 22-year-old has been the subject of a transfer bid from Spanish club Barcelona, but Arsenal have always maintained that our captain is not for sale, at any price.

Manager Arsène Wenger also recently turned down an offer from new Barcelona president Sandro Rosell.

Fabregas said: "All I can say is that this World Cup victory is for all the Arsenal players and fans. They are a world-class club.

"I had a text message of congratulations from Arsène Wenger. He said I deserve it. I just think this is for everyone at Arsenal who helped me get to where I am now. I am an Arsenal player and proud to be.

"It was a difficult tournament for me because I didn't play a lot but something inside me kept saying I would get my chance.

"My family came to support me at the final because they believed it too and thankfully, it went brilliantly.

"We have been playing good football since Euro 2008 and felt it was our moment to do it in the World Cup.

"It was a bit like the French side when they did the double (in 1998 and 2000). We wanted to be the same - we have a special team and special squad and we had to take our chance.

"We have great players coming through. Spanish football is growing and we have to be proud of it."

During Spain's World Cup celebrations in Madrid, Barcelona players Carlos Puyol and Garard Pique together with Liverpool player Pepe Reina pulled a Barcelona kit over an unsuspecting Fabregas.

From arsenal-mania.com

No comments: