Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Campbell pens St James' Park deal



Former Tottenham, Arsenal and England defender Sol Campbell has penned a one-year contract with Premier League new-boys Newcastle United.

The 35-year-old started his career at White Hart Lane before joining the Gunners for the first time nine years ago.

He eventually left Arsene Wenger's side in 2006 but, after featuring in more than 100 matches for Portsmouth and then enduring an ill-fated spell with Notts County, Campbell returned to the Emirates Stadium in January and played in 14 more games for the club.

Campbell said of his move to Tyneside: "At this stage of my career I couldn't have wished for a better move. To join a club such as Newcastle United, with its proud tradition, heritage and magnificent support, is absolutely tremendous for me.

"I'd like to thank Chris Hughton for putting his faith in me and aim to repay him and the supporters by giving everything I possibly can to help re-establish this great club in the top-tier of English football.

"I just want to play and can't wait to get started. There's a real buzz about the place and that's great. I've played at St James' Park numerous times and always found it a fantastic place to play, there's always a tremendous atmosphere

Manager Chris Hughton added: "I have known Sol since he was a lad at Tottenham and am fully aware of what he has to offer. That is experience, quality, calm assurance and leadership.

"He's a dedicated professional, a terrific addition to the squad, and I look forward to working with him again."

From football.co.uk

No comments: