Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bendtner is expected to miss Denmark's against Holland

Striker Nicklas Bendtner is expected to miss Denmark's against Holland on Monday, with coach Morten Olsen admitting that it would be 'a dream' to expect the 22-year-old to be ready.

The Danish international has been struggling with a groin injury since the end of the domestic season, and hasn't been training with the rest of the Danish squad in the World Cup.

Olsen said: "We'd love to have him back of course but I think I would be dreaming to have him back. I don't think he will play.

"Surely we hope to have him back (sometime during the World Cup), he is good player, a talented player and we hope."

Bendtner added: "You want to be 100 percent but you have to take it day-by-day and see what happens.

"No, I am not confident I will play (against the Netherlands), I will take it day-by-day then see how it works and see what happens.

"I am still missing a few things and it is not great but we will see."

Denmark will travel to Johannesburg on Saturday ahead of their Group E opener on Monday against the Netherlands.

However, striker Robin van Persie is expected to lead the Dutch attack in that same match


Written by Jonathan Chong

No comments: